Without a title in your name, there is no way to prove ownership of a vehicle. Obviously, when the ownership changes, the car’s title needs to be transferred to the new owner’s name. This applies to buying or selling a car, but it also applies to giving one as a gift to a family member, or when inheriting a vehicle. When it comes time to transfer a car title in Illinois, there are a few things that all involved should know.
What buyers need to do
For buyers in Illinois, the process of transferring a title isn’t particularly complicated, and the state’s online DMV system streamlines everything. Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure you receive the completed title from the seller. It should include the VIN, and the seller needs to complete the Assignment of Title section on the back of the title. This includes the odometer reading.
- Complete the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s).
- Obtain and complete the Private Party Vehicle Tax Transaction form, which can only be found at a local SOS office.
- Pay the $95 title transfer fee. There are other fees that may be assessed as well, including the following:
- Name changes: $15 per name
- Duplicate title (if lost): $95
- From deceased owner to joint owner (name on title with that of the deceased): $15
- Inherited vehicle (name not on title with deceased): $95
- Not obtaining the Private Party Vehicle Tax Transaction form from the SOS office.
What sellers need to know
Like buyers, sellers need to follow some specific steps to transfer a car title in Illinois. These are as follows:
- Complete the back of the title, including the entire Assignment of Title section. Make sure to list the mileage, the sale date, the name of the buyer and put your signature on the title.
- Take off your license plates. These stay with you.
- Complete a Seller’s Report of Sale and submit it to the SOS by mail (the address is on the form).
Gifted and inherited cars
If you are giving a car as a gift to a family member, or are receiving a car as a gift, you’ll need to follow the same steps as the standard buying/selling process listed above. However, if you are inheriting a vehicle, then there are several key differences.
- If there is only one owner on the title, the estate will handle the transfer process. If there is more than one owner, ownership passes to the other person listed on the title, and a $15 transfer fee is charged.
- You’ll need a title assigned to you by the executor of the estate.
- You’ll need a copy of the letters of administration.
- If the will is not probated, and its value is $100,000 or less, you will need to provide the SOS with a copy of the will (certified), a copy of the death certificate, a small estate affidavit with the vehicle’s information (VIN, make, model, etc.) and the title.
For more information about how to transfer a car title in Illinois, visit the state’s SOS website.
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details
The Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) provides a number of useful driver and vehicle-related forms online, most of which you can download from the library below.
If you can't find the form you need OR have questions about a specific form, visit your local Illinois SOS office branchOR call:
- (800) 252-8980 if you're in IL.
- (217) 785-3000 if calling from out-of-state.
Most Requested Forms
|50-Hour Practice Log - DSD X 152|
Use this form to track the amount of supervised driving hours a minor in your care completes. Does not need to be submitted to the Illinois SOS.
|Affidavit/Consent For Minor To Drive - DSD X 174|
Complete this form to confirm a minor in your care has completed the required amount of driving time to get their IL driver license. Gives the minor legal consent to drive.
|Application for a Social Security Card - SS-5|
Use this form to request an original, replacement, OR altered Social Security card.
|Driving Record Abstract Request - DSD DC 164|
Use this form to request your own driving record OR that of someone else for purposes allowed by law
|Voter Registration Application - SBE R-19|
Complete this form to register to vote in Illinois
Driver's License & ID Forms
|Homeless Status Certification - DSD A 230|
Complete this form to establish proof of homelessness AND qualification for a free Illinois state identification card.
|Medical Report - DSD DC-163|
Submit this form to disclose the state of your physical and mental health so the Illinois SOS can properly assess your driving capabilities. To be completed with a medical professional.
|Vision Specialist Report - DSD X 20|
Evaluation of your visual acuity, used to determine your driving privileges. To be completed by an Illinois vision specialist.
Title & Registration Forms
|7 Day Vehicle Permit Application - VSD 193|
Apply for a temporary registration permit if you reside in IL AND need to operate a vehicle not currently registered in the state of Illinois.
|Snowmobile Registration Application - IL 422-0614|
Use this form to register a snowmobile in IL.
|Watercraft Registration/Title Application - IL 422-0321|
Request an original, duplicate, OR transfer of IL watercraft registration AND/OR title.
Buying & Selling Forms
|Affirmation of Correction - VSD 393|
Use this form to correct OR alter documents regarding the purchase OR sale of a vehicle in Illinois.
|Certificate of Final Disposition - VSD 657|
Submit this form to the IL SOS when selling OR donating a salvage vehicle.
|Junked Vehicle Bill of Sale - VSD 658|
Complete this Bill of Sale form when selling or giving away a junked vehicle in IL.
|Vehicle Use Tax - RUT-50|
Use this form to determine AND submit taxes on a vehicle you received as a gift or through a private vehicle transfer. Pick this form up at your local Illinois SOS office. Not available online.
Contact your local SOS
|Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination - 649-F|
Submit this medical certification form as a part of applying for your IL commercial driver's license. To be completed by a medical examiner.
|Application for Military Skills Test Waiver - CDL-SK TST WVR|
Apply for a CDL skills test waiver if you recently drove a commercial vehicle during your military service.
|Application for Replacement Disability Parking Placard - VSD 415|
Use this form to apply for a replacement IL disabled parking placard.
|Application for an Illinois Person with a Disability Identification Card - DSD X 164|
Use this form to apply for a disability IL state identification card.
|Persons with Disabilities Certification for Plates or Parking Placard Form Online - VSD 62|
Apply for IL disabled placards OR license plates.
Voter Registration Forms
|Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application - 76|
If you're a U.S. citizen living out of your voting jurisdiction, use this form to register to vote AND/OR request an absentee ballot.
Please check your inbox (including spam box).
Thank you for using DMV.ORG.