Writing a strong essay on crime is not as easy as it may seem even for criminology students. For many of you a challenge starts with choosing a strong topic. It often happens that you are not given a list of topics to write about, so you need to come up with one yourself. First of all, pick an issue that is interesting for you personally. Remember that a topic should neither be too broad nor too narrow. Find out if there is enough material to support your research. You can use the following list of argumentative essay topics on crime to get you started
This is an interesting topic for those who want to research how the status of citizens influences the crime rates. Another side of the topic is the crime rates among the immigrants.
This topic is somewhat related to the previous one. There are stereotypes in the society that members of certain race are more prone to crime than members of other races. Discuss whether you agree with this statement.
Is there a connection between poverty and crime? Does the majority of criminals come from the poor backgrounds?
The research may focus on how mental illnesses may influence predisposition to crimes.
Research the current laws and regulations regarding judging mentally ill criminals. Propose your improvements to the system
This is a broad topic and a very pressing matter. Teenagers’ crime rate seems to be growing every year. What influences the growth of this rate? What measures may be taken to prevent teenage crimes?
Statistics shows that a big number of crimes are committed under the influence of alcohol. What measures would your propose to implement in order to lower the rates of this type of crimes?
The current jail system is far from perfect. Explore the ways this system might be improved. In particular, think about reforms that will allow easier integrating of inmates back into the society.
What is the correlation between the crimes committed and the education a person receives? Come up with arguments and counterarguments regarding this issue
It is proven that household environment has a huge impact on children’s development. Are kids exposed to violent behavior at home more prone to committing crimes in the future? Can any measures be taken to prevent this?
10 Argumentative Essay Topics On Criminal Justice
Criminal justice can be complicated and difficult to resolve. Many cases contain elements that are hard to classify as outright right or wrong, legal or illegal. Here are 10 argumentative essay ideas on Criminal Justice:
- Drugs are the main cause of violence in third world countries and more drastic measures should be taken to imprison drugs abusers.
- Marijuana is an addictive narcotic and should remain a criminal offense when someone is charged with possession.
- Police officers are often given what seems to be more lenient treatment from the justice system. Show why this practice of separating police lawbreakers from regular criminals is necessary in criminal law.
- Domestic violence is not restricted to men abusing women, however society often restricts the options of a man who finds himself on the receiving end of domestic abuse. How has this affected the courts effectiveness at ruling in cases of domestic violence?
- There have recently been several controversial incidents of policemen shooting and killing seemingly innocent victims of varied races. Have the courts and law enforcement systems been effective in dealing with these cases?
- Freedom of speech is often cited as the right of every citizen yet countless lawsuits are filed and won against individuals simply speaking their minds. Explain how this practice does not express a double standard by law.
- Many developed countries have a demand for laborers. This demand for labor attracts immigrants from less developed countries who come to work and stay illegally. They are often deported when discovered. What is the best approach to this situation that can benefit both parties?
- In underdeveloped countries, earning a living can be difficult. In some of these countries females are less likely to earn an income by any means other than prostitution. How has the justice system dealt with the girls that are taken from these societies to other countries to be used as sex slaves?
- When one commits a crime, they’re branded as a felon for life and it stays on their permanent record. As a result many past criminals can’t get a job in regular society and are ultimately forced back into a life of crime. Discuss the pros and cons of this system of rehabilitation.
- Many people do foolish things when they’re young that get them into trouble with the law. Should underage drinking be considered when issuing a driver’s permit to such individuals?