In a 1971 fight, Joe Frazier famously floored boxing champ Muhammad Ali with a strong left hook, leading to Ali’s first ever professional loss in the boxing ring. This is most definitely not the source of the word “hook” in writing, but the analogy is as solid as Frazier’s punch. No matter what type of writing project you’re getting into right now, you need a strong hook that knocks your readers’ socks off and gets their attention.
When I talk about good hook sentences, I’m talking about that juicy string of words that make up the first sentence (or two) of your writing project—the words that grab your readers’ attention and don’t let go.
Good hook sentences say, “Drop everything you’re doing and read me right now,” without actually coming out and just saying that.
Writing good hook sentences is critical in all types of writing disciplines from essays and marketing copy to novels and short stories. Hooks are even used in song lyrics. I’m sure, on more than one occasion, you’ve fallen victim to an earworm (a set of lyrics that you can’t get out of your head). That’s because you got hooked. I got the eye of the tiger… oh…um, sorry, I wasn’t listening to Katy Perry, I swear!
Now, here’s the catch. There’s no single, tried and true formula to writing good hook sentences. There is no specific order of nouns, verbs, and adjectives that will get the job done. But when it comes time to KO your readers, this post will give you four simple steps to help you craft your perfect hook.
Good Hook Sentences Step 1—Identify Your Audience
Your hook sentence, just like the rest of your writing project, needs to speak to your specific audience. Getting the attention of a college professor is going to be a vastly different task than getting the attention of a group of stay-at-home moms, for example. Before you write your hook, ask yourself three key questions:
Question 1: Who is my audience?
It’s important to identify your audience no matter what type of writing project you’re working on. Doing so will help you select a message that speaks to them.
If you’re trying to get the attention of a bunch of middle school girls, for example, you either need to be Justin Bieber in the flesh or write a hook that is geared toward that age group.
If, however, your writing project is geared toward the admissions counselors at a prestigious university, you had better get a haircut, Bieber, and write your sentence appropriately.
Before setting out on this writing adventure, make note of your intended audience.
Question 2: Do I have a captive audience?
This question is important because it will help you better understand the purpose of your hook.
In the case of your teacher or an admissions counselor, you pretty much have a captive audience. They are being paid to read your writing. So the intention of your hook is to keep these people from falling asleep on the job, to entice them to give you a good grade, or to convince them to admit you into their institution.
If you’re writing a blog, a book, or marketing copy, then your audience is not captive, meaning they have a choice to read your work or not. Whether your writing appears online, at the bookstore, or on a publishing agent’s desk, your work is one second away from being skipped over in favor of the next piece of writing. In this scenario, a good hook is the lifeline of your writing.
Question 3: What matters to my audience?
Finally, you need to figure out what is important to your audience. Are they interested in solving a particular problem? Are they looking for a specific type of information? Do they want to know something interesting about you? Do they want to know that you understand a particular topic? Are they looking to be entertained?
Write down what matters to your audience. This will help you craft your ultimate hook sentence.
Good Hook Sentences Step 2—Identify the Purpose of Your Writing
The next important issue to determine is the purpose behind your writing. A good hook sentence must be consistent with your writing. You can’t just write an awesome sentence because it’s awesome, and then go off onto another topic entirely. That would just make you look like a crazy person.
For example, if you are writing an argumentative essay, your hook should reflect the strength of your argument, perhaps by stating a shocking fact. On the other hand, if you’re writing a love story, you might start off writing a sweet and romantic anecdote. And if you’re writing a frightening essay on the topic of nuclear warheads, you might select to begin with a chilling statistic.
When identifying your purpose, ask yourself these two questions:
Question 1: How do I want my audience to feel?
Your answer could be that you want them to feel frightened, or motivated to action, or warm and fuzzy like they have a cute puppy on their lap, or interested in your life story.
The point is to write a hook that elicits the types of feelings you want your audience to have.
Question 2: What do I want my audience to take away?
Your answer could be that you want them to be better educated on a certain topic, or that you want them to question reality, or that you want them to believe in love again.
A good hook will reflect the purpose of your writing and set the stage for how you want your audience to feel and what you want them to take away from your work.
Good Hook Sentences Step 3—Choose Your Hook Wisely
Just as there is more than one way to skin a cat (not that I would know–I like my cats with skin and fur on them), there is more than one way to write a compelling hook that will grab your readers’ attention.
Here are a few of those ways:
1. Tell a humorous anecdote.
2. Reveal a startling fact.
3. Give an inspirational quote.
These are only three of many types of hooks. I could go on and on and on, but instead I created a resource just for you that features 14 different types of hooks plus example sentences.
To get this awesome resource and start your ideas flowing, just enter your email in the box at the bottom right of this screen. Your exclusive hook sentences will be instantly sent to your inbox.
Good Hook Sentences Step 4—Craft Your Hook
Now that you’ve considered your audience, the purpose of your work, and settled on the type of hook you want to write, it’s time to make it shine. A good hook sentence will use only the right words and will be as polished and refined as possible.
Honestly, this is how you should approach writing all of your sentences, but if you only have one absolutely perfect sentence in your work, let it be your hook.
One more note: even though your hook sentence is your very first sentence, it’s a good idea to write it last. By writing it last, you can better capture the tone and purpose of your entire writing project.
Remember, a good hook sets up expectations about your writing, establishes your credibility as a writer, grabs your readers’ attention, and makes them eager to read your work. If you need inspiration, you might check out these 400,000 example essays. If you need help polishing your hook sentence, Kibin editors can help with that!
*Cover image credit: Spray flies from the head of challenger Joe Frazier, left, as heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali connects with a right in the ninth round of their title fight in Manila. (AP Photo/Mitsunori Chigita, File)
Psst... 98% of Kibin users report better grades! Get inspiration from over 500,000 example essays.
Duty of any person of the country in his/her any age group is a must to do responsibility of that person towards his/her country. There is no any particular time which will call anyone to perform the duty towards country however it is the birth rights of every Indian citizen to understand and perform all the duties towards their country as daily routine or whenever required according to the type of duty. The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, has said to discuss this topic in the schools, colleges and other places at the Republic Day celebration of India 2016. We have provided here variety of essay on my Duty towards my Country in order to help students. All the my Duty towards my Country essay are written using simple English language especially for the students. They can select anyone according to the need and requirement:
Essay on Duty towards my Country
Duty towards my Country Essay 1 (100 words)
We can say that duty is a moral and legal responsibility of a person which he/she must have to perform towards country. It is a task or action needed to be performed as a job by each and every citizen of the country. Performing duties towards the nation is the respect of a citizen towards his/her nation. Everyone must follow all the rules and regulation as well as be courteous and loyal for responsibilities towards the nation. There are various duties of a person towards nation such as economical growth, development, cleanliness, good governance, quality education, removing poverty, removing all the social issues, bring gender equality, have respect to everyone, go for voting, remove child labour to give healthy youths to the nation and many more.
Duty towards my Country Essay 2 (150 words)
Duty towards country is having moral commitments and performing all the individual or group responsibilities. It is must be understood by each and every citizen of the country. India is a country which believes ‘unity in diversity’ where people of more than one religions, casts, creed and languages live together. It is a country famous all across the world for its culture, tradition and historical heritages however still counted as developing country because of the irresponsibility of its citizens.
There is a big gap between rich and poor people. Rich people do not understand and perform their responsibilities towards poor people. They forget their responsibility of economical growth in the country which is possible by eliminating poverty from the country. Everyone should help backward people to grow up, remove social issues, corruption, bad politics, etc running in the country. A very good example of loyal and selfless duty towards country is the duty performed by the Indian soldiers at the borders.
They stand up there 24 hrs to protect us and our country from the rivals. They perform their duty regularly even they face various big problems on the orders. They are away from their loved ones and do not get comfort and luxury life. However, despite of getting all the basic facilities in our life, we are unable to perform even our small responsibilities like cleanliness, following rules, etc.
Duty towards my Country Essay 3 (200 words)
Individual Duties of People towards Country
Being a citizen or a member of the society, community, or country needs some duties to be performed individually. Everyone has to perform duties of citizenship in the country in order provide bright future. A country is backward, poor, or developing, everything depends on its citizens especially if a country is democratic country. Everyone should exist in the state of good citizen and be loyal towards country. People should follow all the rules, regulations and laws made by the government for their safety and betterment of life.
They should believe in equality and live with proper equation in the society. Being a common citizen, no one shows sympathy with the crime and must raise voice against that. People in India have power to elect their chief minister, prime minister, and other political leader through their votes, so they never waste their votes by selecting bad leaders who can corrupt their country. However, they should understand and know properly about his/her leaders and then give right vote. Their duty is to make their country clean and beautiful. They should not destroy and dirt the heritages and other tourist places. People must take interest in the daily news other than their daily routine activities in order to know what bad or good are going on in their country.
Duty towards my Country Essay 4 (250 words)
India is a religious, cultural and traditional country and famous for the unity in diversity. However, it needs more efforts from the end of its citizens to keep it clean, free of corruption, free of social issues, crimes against women, poverty, pollution, global warming, etc for more development. People need to understand their duties towards country instead of shouting and blaming to the government. Each and every person is individually responsible for the growth and development in the country. People should never forget a famous quote said by Lao Tzu that, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”. Everyone should be aware of their fundamental duties and follow without ignorance. As being a good and responsible citizen of the country, everyone must perform duties very loyally as:
- People should obey all the rule and laws made by the government. They should respect the authority and do not break rules as well as motivate others to do the same.
- They should not bear any crime against them and must raise voice against corruption. They must perform civic and social duties without negatively affecting the society.
- They should provide solutions to needy people, vote intelligently and pay their all taxes a proper time.
- They should take the help of acts like RTI, RTE, etc for the goodness of society.
- Everyone must involve in the cleanliness campaign to keep surroundings and locality clean. They should teach kids to use dustbin to throw useless things and take care of the public properties.
- People, who are able, must leave their gas subsidy for poor people.
- Everyone should be honest and loyal to the country and fellow citizens. They have feeling of respect to each other and must respect social and economic policies for the welfare of the country.
- People must involve their kids in the education and take care of their health and childhood. They should not force their kids for child labour and other crimes.
- People should try their best to make a best country of the world.
Duty towards my Country Essay 5 (300 words)
Duty of a person is the responsibility which he/she needs to perform individually. A citizen living in the society, community or country has various duties and responsibilities towards the society, community and country to be performed in right manner. People should have faith in goodness and never ignore important duties towards their country.
My Duties towards my Country as being a Citizen
Years have been passed since our country got independence from the British rule by the sacrifices of many great freedom fighters. They were real followers of their duties towards country who really made possible the dream of freedom in the country by paying very costly cost of lives of millions of people. After independence of India, rich people and politicians got involved in their own development only and not the country. It is true that we have been independent from the British rule however not from the greediness, crimes, corruption, irresponsibility, social issues, child labour, poverty, cruelty, terrorism, female infanticide, gender inequality, dowry death, gang rape, and other illegal activities.
It is not enough making only rules, regulations, laws, acts, campaigns and programmes by the government, they are needed to be followed strictly by each and every Indian citizen to be really free from all the illegal activities. Indian citizens need to perform their loyal duties towards country for the betterment of everyone by eliminating poverty, gender inequality, child labour, crimes against women and other social issues. Indian citizens have right to select their own political leader which can lead their country in right direction towards development. So, they do not have right to blame bad people in their life. They must keep their eyes opened while voting their political leaders and chose the one who is really free of corrupt mind and has capability to lead a country.
It is must for the people of India to perform their duties individually towards country to really become independent in true sense. It is very necessary for the development of the country which can be possible only from the end of its disciplined, punctual, dutiful and honest citizens.
Duty towards my Country Essay 6 (400 words)
A person has various duties in his/her life towards himself, family, parents, kids, wife, husband, neighbors, society, community and most importantly towards the country. Duties of a person towards country are very important to maintain its dignity, bright future, and lead it towards betterment.
Who am I
I am an Indian citizen as I took birth here. As being a responsible citizen of the country, I have many duties towards my country which I must fulfill all that. I have to perform my duties in various aspects and all that related to the development of my country.
What is Duty
Duty is a task or action needed to be performed by each and every individual of the country on regular basis for the betterment and more development. Performing duty loyally is the responsibility of Indian citizens and is the demand of development in country.
What are my Duties towards my Country
Citizen of a country is the person who lives almost his/her full life and leaves his/her ancestors too, so everyone has some duties towards country. Take an example of home in which various members live together however everyone has to follow all the rules and regulations made by a most senior person or head of the family for the betterment and peaceful life in the home. Just like that, our country is like a home in which people of various religions live together however they need to follow some rules and regulations made by the government for more development in the country. Loyal duties of citizens aim to remove all the social issues, bring real independence in the country and come under the category of developed countries.
People working in the government or private offices, must go on time and perform their duties loyally without wasting time as there is a true saying that “if we destroy time, time will destroy us”. Time never waits anyone, it runs continuously and we should learn from the time. We should not stay until we get the goal in our life. The most important goal of our life is to make our country a great country in true sense.
We should not be selfish people and understand our duties towards country. It’s we, not others who are both, the victim and the benefiter. Our each and every activity affects us in positive and negative manner (if we do positive we become benefiter and if we do negative we become victim). So, why we do not take pledge today to take our each and every step positively in right direction in order to get protected from being a victim in our own country. It is us who have right to rule the country by selecting a good leader. So, why we blame others or politicians, we should blame only us and not others as it’s we who are not performing duties according to the demand. We have been involved in our own daily routine only and have not any mean to other’s life, extracurricular activities, political affairs of the country, etc. It is our mistake that our country is still in the category of developing country and not in the developed country.
It is a big problem man; we should not take it easy. We should not be greedy and selfish; we should live and let others live a healthy and peaceful life. The bright future of our country is in our own hand. Still there is a time and chance for us, we can do better. Start living with open eyes and perform true duties towards the country. We should maintain the cleanliness of our heart, body, mind and surrounding areas for the good start.
Duty towards my Country Essay 7 (600 words)
Duties of Citizens towards Country as: Following are the responsibilities of Indian citizens at their different positions:
- Parents: Parents are highly responsible for their country as they are the main source of giving good or bad leaders to the country. They are considered as the first basic school for their kids so they should be attentive all time as they are responsible to nourish the future of the country. Because of some greedy parents (whether poor or rich), our country is still having poverty, gender inequality, child labour, bad social or political leaders, female infanticide, and thus poor future of the country. All the parents should understand their duties towards country and must send their kids to the school (whether boy or girl) for proper education, take care of the health, hygiene and moral development of their kids, teach good habits and etiquettes, and teach them their responsibilities towards country.
- Teacher: Teachers are the secondary source of giving their country a nice future by making their students as good and successful citizens of country in the future. They should understand their duties towards country and never show difference among their students (rich and poor, genius and average students, etc). They should teach their all students in equal manner in order to give good leaders and bright future to the country.
- Doctor: A doctor is considered as God for the patients as he/she gives new life to them. Because of some greedy doctors, high technique treatments are not available within the country. They are very costly to which poor or even middle class people cannot afford. Some government doctors do not perform their duties well in the hospital and open their personal clinics at many places to earn more money. They should understand their responsibility of making available all the costly treatments at affordable cost within the country. They should not go abroad after higher study however, work in their own country for better development.
- Engineer: Engineers are highly responsible for the infrastructure development in the country. They should positively use their knowledge and professional skills in right direction to develop their country. They should not involve in corruption and be loyal to their duties.
- Politician: The status of the country depends on its politician. A politician (who is not greedy and not involved in corruption) plays various great roles in the development of country whereas a corrupt politician can destroy the country. So, a politician must understand and perform his/her duties towards country.
- Policemen: Police is allotted at various places in the city, state and national level in order to maintain security, peace and harmony all over the country. They are the hope of people, so they should be loyal towards people as well as country.
- Businessmen: The duty of a businessman towards his country is to create more employment in the country and not in abroad in order to improve economy as well as reduce poverty in the country. He should not involve in the corruption and smuggling.
- Sportsperson: Sportsperson should play their games and sports loyally in their own country and should not involve in any type of corruption or match fixing as they are role model to many growing youths of the country.
- Common Citizen (Aam Adami): Common citizens are highly responsible in various ways to their country. They should understand their loyal duties and chose a good leader to lead their country in right direction. They should make their home and surrounding areas neat and clean so that they can be healthy, happy and free of diseases. They should be disciplined, punctual, and always be on time without getting late even for a minute to their job where they are working in any profession.